Web pages freezing

Hi. Anyone else experiencing pages “freezing” recently? Scrolling and clicking stops working, but if I go to another browser tab and back, it recovers and works OK. It looks like some sort of focus or JavaScript problem. It doesn’t seem to be browser-specific.

Hey, @trinity-clinic :wave: Sorry for the trouble you’re having with that. This does sound similar to an issue we’ve been tracking for a while where Windows computers that use Chrome (primarily, but also other “Chromium-based” browsers, such as Edge or Brave) will have the active tab non-responsive after they’ve left their computer for a bit and come back to it.

As you mentioned, switching to a different tab and back will often resolve it. Your Windows “Power & Sleep” settings also seem to play a contributing role. Setting those to “Never” also seems to resolve the issue.

We’ve investigated this a lot, and it does actually seem to be an issue with Chrome, rather than Cliniko, as I’ve reproduced the issue with multiple websites.

Does this sound like it could be the same issue you’re having? If so, we have a bit of good news for you, as there is a long term workaround fix we’ve discovered :smiley:

In Chrome, paste this link into your address bar of your browser and navigate there:
chrome://flags/#calculate-native-win-occlusion

You should see an entry at the top, highlighted, that says “Calculate window occlusion on Windows”. Set that to “Disabled” and relaunch your browser.

That should sort the issue for you, once and for all. If this isn’t the same issue you’re having, or if that doesn’t work for you, please reach out to us at support@cliniko.com or via the chat in Cliniko and we’ll be happy to help sort through the issue with you :+1:

Hope that helps!

1 Like

This does sound like what we are seeing. I will give it a go and see if it improves. Thanks!

2 Likes

This fix does seem to have improved things. Had no problems scrolling when going back to the page after a while. However, we are still getting the calendar navigation buttons (Today, back a week and forward a week) go unresponsive from time to time. A page reload wakes it up. This is Chrome browser on Windows 10.

1 Like