The “Keep me logged in on this computer” checkbox on the sign-in page now works better with 2FA

If you’re using 2 factor authentication (2FA) on your account (which we highly recommend you do, as it’s the single most important thing you can do to secure your Cliniko account), you may have noticed that despite ticking the “Keep me logged in on this computer” box on the sign-in page, you would still need to enter your 2FA codes again, every time you signed in. While Cliniko would remember your session (meaning, it knew you were signed in), it did not remember the fact that you had already entered your 2FA codes.

This was a bit of a hassle, so we’ve changed things up—if you tick the “Keep me logged in on this computer” box when signing in (with 2FA enabled), we won’t ask for 2FA codes again for 30 days. We’ll still ask for your email and password, though, unless you don’t sign out and your session doesn’t expire (meaning, you’re automatically logged out after a certain period of inactivity)—in which case, you won’t need to do anything!

Here’s what that part of the sign-in process looks like—you’ll want to be sure you’re ticking “Keep me logged in on this computer” when you’re asked for 2FA verification, as shown in this example below:

This change should help make your sign-in process a bit easier, but there are a few things to keep in mind.

This will only work if you’re using the same browser on the same device, and haven’t cleared your browsing history. So, for example—let’s say you use Chrome on a Mac. If you tick “Keep me logged in on this computer” and always use Chrome on that same Mac, you won’t need to enter 2FA codes again for 30 days. However, if you clear your history in Chrome, that “resets” everything, and you’ll need to re-enter your 2FA code.

Similarly, if you use a different browser on that same computer, you’ll also need to enter your 2FA codes (at least, the first time you log in), because the “keep me logged in” function isn’t shared between browsers. So, for example, while you might be kept logged in and remembered on Chrome, you won’t be remembered in Safari.

Also, if you reset your Cliniko password, all remembered devices and browsers will be forgotten. So, you’d need to log in to Cliniko again, tick “Keep me logged in on this computer”, and enter your 2FA code. This would then keep you “remembered” again for 30 days.

As always, let us know if you have any questions on this!