New metrics in the Practitioner performance report: Patient Average Visit (PVA) and Rebook Rate

The Practitioner performance report is a valuable tool for keeping track of things like total appointments booked, total and average revenue, cancellations and DNAs, and more—each on a per-practitioner basis. We’ve just added a couple of new metrics that should help to make this report more useful for you! They’re called the Patient Visit Average (PVA for short, or CVA, if you have “client” as your terminology) and the Rebook Rate. You can see them within the report summary:

Note: the numbers in the above screenshot are examples, and are not fully accurate. The image above is meant to show you what the PVA and Rebook Rate fields look like on the report summary.

Below, we’ll explain how they work!

Patient Visit Average (PVA)

This is the average number of times that a single patient visits the practitioner. It’s calculated by the total number of “valid attendances” (meaning, appointments that are not cancelled or marked as DNA) divided by the number of new patients seen during the report’s time frame. A higher number means more repeating visits (basically, less “churn”) for the practitioner.

Let’s say that a practitioner has had 50 appointments booked during the month of January. 10 of those were cancelled or DNA, so their total number of “valid” appointments is 40.

Out of those 40 appointments, 10 were totally new patients—it was their very first time at this clinic, with this practitioner. So the practitioner’s PVA would be 40 divided by 10, for a total of 4. The PVA, in this case, is 4—meaning that a patient’s average number of visits is 4.

Rebook Rate

This is the percentage of bookings that have a future booking during or after the report’s time frame. It looks specifically at the total number of all bookings (though it won’t include cancelled and DNA appointments), and then it subtracts the total number of patients that had an appointment in that period, without upcoming appointments, finally dividing that by the total number of bookings.

For example, let’s say you have 10 patients seen in that period with 2 bookings each (so, 20 total appointments) in the report’s time period, and five of them have no other appointments booked after the reporting period’s end. That gives you a 75% rebook rate.

These additions to the practitioner performance report should make your performance tracking even more reliable! And as always, if you have any questions on how this all works, we’re here to help!

3 Likes

This is a great new feature, thanks.

Found it difficult to get this information from CliniqApps.

I am currently offering complimentary initial assessments. Is there a way to exclude these appointments from the Patient Average Visit?

Thanks

1 Like

Wouldn’t the PVA be more useful if instead of new patients, it used unique patients? It’s wonderful to see more practitioner/appointment metrics. Thanks :blush:

1 Like

Thanks Cliniko, this saves us from manually calculating these stats each week!

Yep this would make more sense. Currently my PVA over last 6 weeks is 62 :joy:

1 Like

Couple of comments about each of these features.

PVA: If your definition of a new patient is ‘their first time at this clinic’ it is not going to give an accurate PVA result. Your example gives 4 as the average. But if 10 of those 40 appointments were Initial Consultations for return clients to the practice, it actually yields a PVA of 2. Making the report redundant. This could be improved by changing your terminology of New Patients to ‘Initial Consultations’.

Rebook Rate: This seems like quite a complex calculation. I’m not sure what this report is meant to represent but I assume it reflects the ability of individual practitioners to rebook their clients and keep them on schedule. A more accurate indication of this would be obtained by looking at the results of the ‘Patients without upcoming appointments’ report for each therapist.

1 Like

PVA is something we use but we discount Insurance patients, we also offer 3D gait analysis which we would again want to discount from the report as these patients generally come 3-6 monthly.

Is there any way of amending the report so that we can customise the reports to exclude certain types of appointments?

1 Like

@Cornwallphysio if you are interested in having your Cliniko data available as real-time reports and visualisations and available 24/7 in a securely hosted cloud environment, take a look at our integration here dataplayer.io

Here is some dummy data in a paid version of Dataplayer as an example of what we do.

Contact us via the website or product chat option or tag me here if you want more information.

Regards,

Steven

2 Likes

Hi @Robin ,

Andrew Zacharia (owner of Physio Fit) has written this article on PVA for the Cliniko Blog on how to use the Patient Visit Average in a meaningful way to improve the health outcomes in your practice.

Cheers,
Kate

1 Like

Thanks Kate for providing the link. I do my own extensive data analysis using your data export, obtaining a range of metrics including patient visit average, new patient numbers, rebooking rate, when follow up appointments are made, when follow-up appointments are had, patients that don’t return if not rebook on the day, etc. I’m happy to convey to you how the data has been collated from the Cliniko source data. I’ve taken into consideration whether patients have rebooked with the same practitioner or any practitioner at the clinic and factored in or out patients that DNA or cancelled according to what provides the most suitable information. This data analysis is all automated for me now in a rather complicated spreadsheet. It would be fantastic to see Cliniko adopt some of this number crunching (and lovely graphs) for their users, as I’ve found other 3rd party solutions can provide quite misleading analysis as they don’t allow properly for no shows, cancellations etc. I was hoping you can correct your PVA to count for unique patients and not new patients… as it is currently providing an incorrect calculation of PVA, which is indeed a very useful stat.

2 Likes

Hi, @Robin I totally agree with your comment about “unique patients and not new patients” for the PVA calculations. I would be grateful for your feedback about dataplayer.io if you ever wanted to have your metrics calculated and hosted in a secure cloud environment accessible 24/7.

1 Like

We also do extensive reports on our own - would be great if more could be automatically pulled from Cliniko directly in the reports section :slight_smile:

1 Like

The very nature of Cliniko being Practice Management Software for all makes it problematic to create bespoke reporting metrics suitable for a specific practice. At dataplayer.io you have the option to view our KPI reporting or have a dashboard built to your requirements.

Just found a bit of a problem with ‘rebook rate’ i believe - it appears as if its counting an next appointment booked. This is creating a bit of a false read on rebook rate for our practitioners if the massage therapist’s patient didn’t book with them again but they have another Chiropractic appointment booked the RMT’s rebook rate looks better than it is!

1 Like