Cliniko now supports all global currencies (plus some formatting changes)

All global currencies are now supported within Cliniko! Now, there’s a good chance that this change won’t affect you, and there’s nothing you need to do—but there are a handful of folks who will probably want to change their settings, so we’ll go over the specifics.

Multi-currency support

Previously, we did not have the facilities for you to choose a specific currency. It was based on the country you had listed in your account settings.

Now, that wasn’t a huge issue if you were always accepting payment in the same currency as your country (for example, those of you in Australia accept payment in AUD). It was a problem for clinics that operated out of “multi-currency” areas, and we didn’t have any way to support this. If your account’s country was set to Lebanon, for example, you were locked into using LBP, even if you primarily took payment in USD.

There were also instances where the correct symbol simply did not display. For example, the Danish krone should have been displayed as “kr”, but we were showing the dollar symbol (S). The krone will now display as kr.

With the new change, your country and currency don’t need to be the same. As mentioned, unless you’re one of the few folks operating out of one of these “multi-currency” places, you won’t notice a difference. For those of you that are, though, you can change your currency within your general settings, under the “Currency” header:

By default, your account’s currency will still be set to your country, as it was previously. The difference is that the currency is now considered “independent” from the country, and can be changed if you want.

Better currency formatting

Another thing that changed is the formatting of some of the currencies. There were ones that were not correctly formatted before, such as the Euro. It was always displayed in the way that Ireland would expect it to be formatted (€1,234.56), but now it’s formatted properly for each country. For example:

• Belgium: €1.234,56
  • France: €1 234,56
  • Germany: 1.234,56 €
  • Ireland: €1,234.56

Again, this is country-dependent, so what you see will be reflected in your country’s local currency.

Long story short, this will be helpful for you if you require payment to be made in a different currency than your local one. If that doesn’t apply to you, then there’s nothing you need to worry about!

1 Like

Thanks for this update! As far as I can tell, you are still restricted to one currency at any one time though, once you have chosen one? Since the advent of telehealth/video sessions, I take clients in mainland Europe who pay me in Euros, while the majority of my clients pay me in GBP. Is there any way of allowing a currency choice at each payment/invoice?

1 Like

There’s not right now Claire.

That would require some pretty significant changes though, as you’d basically need to report revenue in two separate currencies. That will make the revenue reports, how you store payments, and a lot more fragmented into the different currencies.

Definitely something for us to think about moving forward - particularly as you said, with more clinics offering telehealth and not being in the same country as the patient, but for the. moment we don’t have an option to help. I’d guess that the best thing you could do is convert the Euros to GBP at the time of invoicing, and then store the revenue all as GBP.

1 Like